Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Decisions and plans...

So after yesterday's crazy news, and emotional out pouring from me, Adam and I have decided a few things. The first of which is that we will be putting the girls into Gymboree classes. Yes,
I know that is one more thing we will have to go to and do, but it is something that WE will be doing as parents to interact with our girls. This is to strengthen our bond with them, and for them to have one hour of our devoted attention a week.

Bree's Gymboree class will be on Fridays at 12. That will be the only thing we will have planned for that day. Friday's will be Bree Day! We will do things that she enjoys, and will, as a family, concentrate on her. This may sound odd to you all, but even though Bree receives a lot of attention right now anyways, it is not for the benefit of fun. It is purely for developmental advancement and trust me, it is not always fun. You should her when she has her developmental therapy...she screams for a good twenty minutes of the forty five minutes of therapy she gets. So, Friday being Bree Day will be a good thing. :)

Saturdays will be Riley Day! Her Gymboree class is at 11 every Saturday. Same arrangement as Bree...we will be doing fun things that Riley likes to do throughout the day. Coloring, singing songs, building with blocks, going to the park, etc etc. Whatever she wants to do (within reason) we will do! She is growing so fast and so much that we do not want to miss a thing. :)

For their Gymboree classes, Adam and I will be switching off. For example, I will go with Bree on Friday and he with Riley on Saturday. The next week he will go with Bree and I will go with Riley. This is so that the girls will learn to play and interact with either parent present. I also think (and I sure many of you will agree!) that sometimes Daddy's are better at letting kids explore and do things that Mommy might not allow because they may seem a bit dangerous to Mommy. I know I struggle with that sometimes. :)

So, we will be limiting our therapies and appointments to Monday through Thursday. I think that this is a choice that may be frustrating to some doctors, but we as a family need the downtime. More specifically, my girls need the down time. Even though Bree has medical issues, that is not all of what our life is about. Life is about loving and appreciating those whom you have around you. Family comes first...no matter what.

3 comments:

Mommy Peters said...

Tasha - I just wanted to give you some kudos about your "plans". It is great that you recognized that Bree's situation could negatively affect Riley's life BEFORE it has and you are being proactive in finding a way to make sure BOTH of your kids have fulfilled lives.

I remember feeling a lot of the same way as you when Nicholas was in the hospital and the first couple of months he was home. Braden was constantly being pacified with some activity that would keep him busy so I could do what I needed or at a sitter while I ran Nick all over tarnation for appointments and such. We have been lucky and don't have to do that sort of thing nearly as often anymore - hopefully someday soon your schedule will be able to ease a bit as Bree develops and catches up with "the norm".

If you ever want to chat you know how to get a hold of me! Ooh, actually I have a new phone number - I'll text it to you!

Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Tasha-You and Adam are so wise. You look at everything at all angles. That is so good. You are GREAT parents. Riley and Bree are so lucky.
Love you lots-see you soon. Nana

Anonymous said...

Gymboree will be so much fun!!! Take lots of pictures, so they never forget the fun times you had when they are older. I think I am into photography because my parents weren't camera happy when i was a kid. Great plan!! You al are an amazing family!