Friday, October 2, 2009

"She's not normal"

Today, for the first time in a long time, I heard these words uttered and I found joy, and laughter, within them. I had asked our PA a question about Bree's language development and where she should be at. It went something like this: "Where should a twelve month old be at with their language? Riley has always spoken well, and more than she should be for her age so I do not have a good conparison." Johanna quickly replied "Yeah, she's not normal." I abruptly laughed and said "I never thought I'd be happy to hear those words, usually it's not a good thing." Ha ha! Riley puts together sentences, and will openly express how she feels about things. She told me today: "I 'cared" (I'm scared) because there was a dog barking next door. I commonly get "C'mon Mommy! I show you sumpin!" So, yes...Riley is not normal, and that is GREAT!

Bree is right where she should be with language according to Johanna. She says 3-5 common sounds, Ma, Da, Ba, squeals, and babbles to herself. She can look around the room and find who you are asking for. (If you ask, Where's Riley? or Where's Sister? she will look around until she finds her..if you follow her eyes you can tell it is purposeful) She engages socially with you by touching your face, she starts games and expects you to comply with them. So, for being a preemie, she got the a-okay today. We are still going to do PT, Speech therapy and we will be starting OT here soon.

I will update more later as Riley just got up from her nap and is now whining and crying for me to go "make castle" with her. (play in the sandbox!)

No comments: