Tuesday, September 30, 2008

September 30, 2008




Good afternoon all!

Yesterday was a day of firsts for Adam, Bree, and me. (Hey that rhymes!) Adam got to hold Bree for the first time. Because she is on the regular ventilator she is able to be held. Also, if she is having a down day, we may not be able to hold her. Adam was a little hesitant at first because it is a lot of work for someone to hold her. It takes two nurses to move her from her bed to the person that is holding her. But once Adam and Bree got settled, she was snug as a bug in a rug! We did have some technical difficulties while he was holding her, her oximeter reader that was on her foot wasn't registering her oxygenation level so the nurse had to continually fuss with it to get it to work. (which it never did, she ended up changing it) We found out that Bree makes little noises, which means that she is outgrowing the tube that is in for her ventilator. The noises she makes remind me of a little puppy dog whimpering. (just a lot softer!)

After Adam was done holding her, I got the opportunity to change her diaper for the first time. I never thought I would so excited to change a diaper! We had a wonderful nurse who helped me a bit, I was a little hesitant because of how small she is. I didn't want to lift her up by her legs and have her leg pop out of the socket or something! (I worry about everything...but that's the mom's job)...She had a little bit of poop in her diaper, like she had a little wet fart or something of that manner. Oh boy, she may be small but she can make it stink when she farts! I was expecting her little diaper to be full of poop, but it was only wet. After it was changed, the nurse Jackie, weighed it and it was 1/2 oz!! That's a lot!
She was increased on her feeds yesterday. She is now at 1.5cc every three hours. She has had wonderful blood gases so they haven't really messed with her ventilator settings at all. She had a brain ultrasound and a heart ultrasound (echocardiogram) yesterday so we are waiting for the results of both of those. I am hoping and praying that her brain ultrasound comes back that she is the same, or even better!, less than a stage three. I think I would want to cry, throw a party and dance in celebration if it comes back less. Her brain bleeds are what have me worried the most right now.
I want to say thank you to everyone who reads, and posts comments, prays for us, or supports us...it means so much to us and I do not know the words to express my thanks!
Hope this finds everyone happy, healthy and in love with life!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How great that Daddy got to hold Bree and Mama got to change the diaper. I was so excited I had to call Grandpa in to read and Look at all the wonderful new pictures.
Every day is a blessing. Thank you Tasha for the daily updates and pictures. They mean so much to us.
Love you all
Grandma O.

Anonymous said...

I am from parents.com...I am in the October-mom's-to-be board...
I read your posts every day! Your family is so strong, and I really am pulling for Bree!! My little sister was born early (30 weeks) and she was in the NICU for about a month and a half, but she is a happy healthy 14 year old now!! Keep your heads up!! I'll continue to read your posts and pray for your family!!

Lauren H.

Sarah Ginter said...

awesome pictures, and what an incredible day!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you guys sounds like she is on her way. How much is she weighing now? She looks so beautiful and has such great color.

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful feeling to hold your lo when you aren't allowed to, isn't it? It seems as though Miss Bree is doing rather well for herself. Here's to her continuing that way!

Anonymous said...

I am from parents.com also but from the sept-mom-to-be. I check your blog a few times a day to get your updates. You and you husband amaze me. Your both so strong, no wonder little Bree is so strong!You all are in my thoughts and prayers everyday. Continue to stay strong.

Christie C

Anonymous said...

Tasha & Adam thankyou for keeping us all up to date on Bree & for sharing your very special moments with us all! Seeing her resting in Daddy's arm is so precious!
Bree is so Beautiful & WOW she is so amazing ! Praising God for answered prayers! We continue to keep you all in our prayers! Bless you guys!

stacyamatthews said...

I am on the Dec. board with you. I love reading your updates everyday and the pics are great. You guys are so strong and seem to be doing so well considering the circumstances. I pray for you all everyday. Stay strong! Bree is doing so well and I am sure she will continue to.

Stacy M.