Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October 1, 2008

Today has been a down day for Bree today. She has had a rough day with her oxygen saturations, heart rate, and just being 'picky' today. I was unable to hold her today due to all of this. However, she had many procedures done on her, so it accounts for all of it. She had blood drawn, a chest x ray, an echocardiogram (an ultrasound of her heart), and then all of the normal stuff for the day. (being fussed with to change her diaper, reposition her, etc.) The reason why she has had to have all of those procedures done is because she is having a surgery on Friday. The surgery is for Patent Ductus Arteriosus or PDA. I am not an expert on these things (I am learning as I go along!), but here is a website link that explains it well:

http://www.meriter.com/living/preemie/problems/patentductus.htm

It does state on that website that they can give medication to help 'shrink' the duct, however, they do not want to go the medicine route with her because in babies that are as young as her it can cause her intestines to not work. Therefore, surgery is the best route. I am very nervous and anxious about this to be honest. Doing surgery on a 1lb, 10 oz preemie has to be difficult and risky. However, I do trust the doctors and nurses that are taking care of her so all I can do is pray, and put my trust in them.

Because she has to have surgery, they have stopped giving her the breastmilk and are back to just giving her the TPN through her IV. This is so her system is completely empty of all food for the surgery.

We did get the results from her brain ultrasound back and her brain bleeds are still at a stage three. However, there is still no new bleeding so we are just waiting for her body to reabsorb the residual fluid.

Adam and I are going back in tomorrow to talk with the surgical nurse practitioner and give her some family history information and information about my pregnancy. So, maybe if Bree is having a better day tomorrow I will get to hold her before her surgery. Obviously, we will be there Friday, and then we are taking Papa and Riley in to see her on Saturday. So my updates may be a little later in the day than usual...however, have faith...I will get them up!

Please be praying for Bree's continued strength and resiliency in the coming days...before, during, and after her surgery. She is an amazing little girl, and I am sure she has many angels watching over her, hundreds of people praying for her, and Jesus watching over her twenty four seven. Everyone's prayers are appreciated and I cannot put into words how much they mean to me...

4 comments:

Fiery said...

((hugs)) Keep being strong and sure in your faith...


God, we ask that you continue to watch over Bree as she faces the next few days and surgery. Give her the strength to to come out on top.

Anonymous said...

Drew , Dakota and I will make sure to pray that things go well for Bree and your family.
Serenity

Anonymous said...

Tasha...
Thank you for your updates , we will stay on it in prayer for little baby Bree & you guys & all the medical staff too!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for her and your family as you prepare for surgery. Stay strong she is such a little fighter.