Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Kill 'em with kindness

Moving always seems to create many shopping trip opportunities. And, it's not the fun kind of shopping either. It's the "we have nothing to eat so I need to go shopping" or "we packed the hammer and nails at the bottom of some unmarked box so we need to go buy a new one shopping". Today we actually had both of those happen. As luck would have it, the gas people were coming by today so someone had to be at the house allllll day. Adam was gracious enough to keep both girls while I ran to Walmart to get WIC, and pick up some other things.

On my list was WIC (cereal, bread, fresh fruits and veggies, juice, etc etc), curtains for the girls' room, a new shower head since the other one cracked when Adam was trying to put it in, a hammer, some nails, and few other things. It ended up being one of those shopping trips where just as you were on one side of the store, you realize you forgot something on the completely opposite side! So, 45 minutes later I had my basket full, my list checked off (or so I thought!), and I got in a line where there was only one guy in front of me. Score!

The man in front of me had WIC too, and since WIC has changed their new program it is a pain! While the new foods they have added are wonderful, the Walmart computer system has not caught up. That meant that every time a new WIC item was scanned a CSM would have to come over and approve it. Lots of time, and running back and forth on the part of Walmart employees! When my turn came there was one older lady behind me. I had three seperate WIC checks to cash and then my usual Walmart purchases.

The ringing up of WIC began and right off the bat we had to call a CSM. This cycle continued and two more people (an older man and another older lady) joined our line. About the time we got to the second WIC check I heard the second older lady engage in conversation with the other two in line.: "What the hell is going on here? Last week I waited in line for 20 minutes behind a lady with lots of coupons...what is this girl doing? I bet she's one of those who lives off the state and they give her free food. Humph." The three of them chatted, and while I only caught bits and pieces of the other two speaking I could clearly continue to hear the second older lady as she spoke very loudly. At first I was slightly irritated because she does not know our situation, and who is she to judge? However, I came up with a better plan.

After my purchases were complete, I grabbed my bags and loaded them in the cart. The three older people were watching me and seemed to be revving their little cart engines in order to move up in their places in line. I turned around smiled, made eye contact with the second older lady, raised my hand to wave and loudly said "Thanks for your patience and understanding, I REALLY appreciate it!"

I killed 'em with kindness. :)

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Girl...if we lived closer...I KNOW we'd be friends! You KNOW that lady felt about 2 feet tall after your sweet comment! Good job!

kourtney said...

Haha!! Love it!!