Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The ugly

Usually I try and keep the blog upbeat and happy, but unfortunately life isn't always that way. The past two days have been horrible.

To start, Riley has ran a fever the last three days. She hovers around 101 in the evenings. Just the evenings. Weird. Bree started with a fever tonight too.

Yesterday we got a letter from Social Security saying the benefits that we have been getting for Bree are being changed. Instead of the $674 we were getting a month they are saying we only get $55.64. We rely upon that money to help pay for her expenses and to cover bills.

This morning I called to ask about why that change had occurred since our money situation had not changed. Come to find out we never should have qualified in the first place and they expect us to pay back all the money they had overpaid us. All $7, 420.32.

Talk about stressful. We are going to be appealing the repayment since it was their mistake that we received the money in the first place. I am sure this is a process that is going to take a long while.

To offset the money that we are no longer receiving we filed for food stamps today, and are going to re qualify for WIC tomorrow morning.

Here's hoping for a better tomorrow.

4 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

That is ridiculous!! That's a BIG mistake on their part. I would fight that to the end!! We never qualified because Owen has a transplant fund setup.. lame. I was just getting ready to reapply. Now I'm scared that if we do get ssi, they'll tell us we owe them back in a year. I'm SO sorry!!!!

We need to think of a way to earn some extra momma money on the side.

Anonymous said...

Have no fear for things always work out in the end. I would fight it as much as you can and please don't feel bad about using the systems, its people like you and I who are working and need the help that should get it! I am a proud former user of both services and hey why not if you need the help, there is no same in that. As far as the SS issue have you talked to someone at the county level for help, there should be a free lawyer service or something like that for you. Also look into disability assistance due to her preemie status, or even medical assistance to help with some of the medical expenses. either way hold your head up and remember "He brought you to it and He will get you through it! **hugs**

Anonymous said...

Tasha,
You should also look into services like Lutheran Aid or Catholic Charities they might be able to help with some of the expenses as well. Good Luck hun.

Aimee V said...

Sorry Tasha that you are having to deal with this. If it was their mistake in the first place they should have to suck it up. Obviously you have needed that money to cover Bree's expenses and haven't abused the system. Being newly divorced and only receiving $840.00 per month ($500 spousal support and $340.41 child support for 3 kids) I totally understand. I have to receive food stamps and medical for me and my kids since to this day I am still unemployed and that is my only source of income. I don't know how the courts thought I would be able to raise 3 kids and myself on $840.00 a month. Ridiculous!! Thank God for my dad who is paying my rent every month. Good luck hun, I hope it all get's straightened out for you.