Friday, July 3, 2009

Surgery Story

For the most part Bree's pre surgery prep went like it should have...except for the part that her surgery started an hour late. Her pediatric surgeon, Dr. Rowe, was late coming from clinic so we were waiting on her. Once we walked her down to the operating room (and handed her off after kisses and loves), Adam and I went to go pass the twenty minutes of surgery time by getting a copy of her medical records. After getting lost and being redirected by a helpful hospital employee, ten minutes later we were at medical records. She started printing out her records and we were standing around waiting for them to finish when the medical records lady informed us that we were on page 30 of 306!!! So, Adam stayed back for the records while I went to go wait for report from Bree's surgeon and doctor.

Dr. Rowe and Dr. Ursea came out and let me know that her surgery went well. They gave me a sheet of paper that had all the specifics of her surgery on it and it even came complete with a picture from the inside of her stomach from the endoscope. It showed her G tube placement from the inside. Which, if you know me and my medical love, I thought it was AWESOME!

About five minutes after that Adam came and joined me as we waited to be call back to the recovery room to see Bree. As we were sitting there a PCT from the NICU walked by and said "Wait, you're Bree's parents, right?" We talked with her for a few minutes as she asked how Bree was doing and what we were doing there. After she walked off (back to the NICU) Adam and I looked at each other and went "Did you know her? Cuz I don't remember her!" We saw so many people in the NICU that it is hard to remember them all. However, we appreciate every single person who have helped us, taken care of Bree, and/or just like us. :)

We finally got called back to recovery where little Bree was sleeping off her sedative from the surgery. She looked pale and whenever she woke up she would fuss in pain. She broke my heart everytime. However, once Adam or I were holding her she was content and happy (and sleepy too). When she was content and snuggled in her Daddy's arms, I left to go pick up Riley from our friends house.

2 comments:

Fiery said...

Sounds like things went well. It has to be nice to know that you got a full report on how things went not just some Dr's brief run down. I am sure you will be adding that picture to her baby book. I will be praying that the G Tube makes things much easier for her.

Tabetha said...

It sounds like this G tube should help a lot, you and your family are in my thoughts all the time.