Saturday, May 22, 2010

Discipline

"Spare the rod, and spoil the child". I have heard this many times in my lifetime, and I do truly believe in it. Yes, you heard me right. We spank. However, I also believe that some children need to be spanked, while others are fine with just a harsher tone of voice and a disapproving look. We are so very lucky in our house to have one of each of those children.

Riley is the spanker. Harsher voices do nothing for her. She giggles at the disapproving look. Timeouts are a joke to her (but we still do them). She sings in timeout, as if it were karoake time. So for her, we do three strikes and you're out. She gets two timeouts for the same offense and the third time she gets a spanking and has to go to her room. There are days when I think it is working, but then there are days (like today) that make me question my parenting.

Riley uses reverse psychology on us. I swear. Her new thing is when we spank her, she thanks us. It never fails, spank Riley and "Thank you Mommy" or "Thank you Daddy" comes out of her little mouth. It has us baffled. We're not sure how to react. We just tell her "You're welcome, but you must now stay in your room as punishment." She either says "Okay!" or starts crying. She is a mystery.

Bree is our harsh voice/nasty look child. Works everytime. I love it. I wish Riley were more like her.

2 comments:

The Pentz Family said...

omg, she is just too much! Lil T uses the reverse physchology on me too, and it drives me batty!!!! Hang in there....the 3's are coming!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Riley is something else. She will always keep you both on your toes. Nathen "playes" Marie in much the same way. With me, a harsh voice will do the trick. Both kids are very smart.

Marlene Ogden