Sunday, October 12, 2008

October 12, 2008

Mornin Mornin Everyone!

Riley is dancing to Imagination Movers, and we are all vegging and resting this morning before church. Bree had a great night and she slept most of the night. The nurse did comment she had a few 'wild' moments. She works herself up and starts flailing her arms and legs. She's such a fiesty little girl, she's too much for her own good. But with some hands-on containment and swaddling, she settles right down. This morning Bree was at 28% oxygen, and they have successfully weaned her off of her morphine.

I have a confession to make...I am thoroughly frustrated with pumping! I know it is best for Bree and I will continue no matter what. I am determined that she is going to get only breast milk for her first year. However, my determination doesn't help with the time it takes, the planning, and the changing of plans. Today we (Adam and I) were planning on going to our children's ministry planning meeting. We will be planning the whole next year of curriculum! I love planning, and I love brainstorming ideas for crafts and games. Everyone is going to have lunch together and it will be great to socialize with everyone.

However, this morning I noticed I am running out of the bottles I have to put my breast milk in. Which means we have to run to the hospital to pick up more...this wouldn't be a problem if I had noticed sooner that I needed more bottles. We were there yesterday and I could have picked up more! Now I only have two bottles left and as of 11 o'clock today I won't have any left, which means I can't go to the meeting. Rrr!

Another frustration I have with it is the time it takes. I have to pump every 2-3 hours, which doesn't allow for much time outside of the house. For example, today I pumped at 7, will pump at 9 before going to church, and we will have to be home by 12 for me to pump. If I go beyond 3 hours for pumping my milk supply starts to dwindle, which is not a good thing. Even if I hadn't run out of bottles, the meeting starts at 1. If I had pumped at 12 I would need to be home by 3 to pump which would have only gave me an hour and a half at the meeting before I'd have to leave to make it home to pump.

I wish that it wasn't so inconvenient. It is so much easier when you can have your baby with you...however, this is the best for Bree and I am the only one who can give it to her. So, I guess it is a sacrifice that is necessary. I just hope that our friends are understanding of the situation we are in, I am sure it is just as frustrating for them that we can't stay for a day and hang out, or be in planning meetings from 1-6...etc, etc....

Hope this finds everyone happy, healthy and in love with life!

7 comments:

theamaros said...

Hey lady... don't get discouraged! You are doing such an amazing thing for your daughter - and this is your priority right now! The sacrifices you are making will be completely worth it in the end!

Scott said...

Tasha~ You are an amazing and dedicated lady! You ARE absolutely doing the best thing for your baby and I commend you! You will not regret doing what's best. In my humble opinion, our priorities should be 1. God 2. Spouse 3. Children and everything else comes after...and I know it's a bummer that you can't be involved in things as much as you would like, but I personally feel like your priorities are in order. God gave us our precious children as gifts and it's up to us as parents to be good "stewards" of our wonderful gifts from God. I believe true friend will understand...and if not, don't trip...feel confident in your decision to take care of your family! Ok....I'm gonna stop now...just wanted to encourage you! Have a great Sunday! ~Aleasha

Anonymous said...

Tasha,
After my six weeks off I have to take my pump withme to work. Does your pump have a little area where you can put some ice packs in it? Mine does so I put about 3 ice bags in it and store my milk that way. My pump has a built in cooler area. If you don't take a little 6 pack cooler with you. Also if there is an electrical issue you can find a car outlet cord or you can buy a battery pack too. If you have a pump from the hospital ask if they have stuff like that. I have a medela pump so you can find those assecories at target or some place like that.
Hope this helps Lynei from the Dec club

Anonymous said...

I would definitely think about taking the pump "on the road" with you. There is always somewhere that you can pump privately, even if it is just in an extra room at the church or a friends house. Keep up the great job though, you are definitely making a difference in your daughter's well-being by keeping up with the pumping!

Fiery said...

Don't get discouraged Tasha... this is currently what you need to do and God wouldn't want you to do anything else... I would look into accessories to your pump.. No one is every going to find fault with your taking care of Bree... God has given you a great responsibility... pump as long as you can physically do so....

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear of Bree's good progress. Awesome what you are doing Tasha, with the breast pump, I was never good or patient with doing that. Taking my hat off to a determined young Mom! Praying blessings from God for you and all the family.

Anonymous said...

I was going through the same frustrations you are now, I invested in the travel charger so we could do those things and travel, I would pump out in the car or on the way and DH would drive so we could do the things we wanted too. Your church should have a private room you could sit in to do that as well. Hang in there momma, its just a small bump in the road and the benefits will far outweight the downfalls! You are so awsome and we are all praying for you and miss bree!