Monday, August 24, 2009

A treat in the night

Tonight, for the the first time in a very long time, Adam came home early from work. Yes, I used the word 'tonight' in the same sentence as 'home early from work'. You see, that is because he works the night shift. Sunday night through Thursday night I sleep alone in our bed and Adam is at work. All alone in the wood four post queen bed with four pillows and only one head to try and occupy them all. So, when he does come home from work early, or on the weekends, even though we are sleeping, it is nice to know that he is there.

It is the half awake rolling over in the night when it is most comforting. To roll over and to have the knowing that your significant other is right there beside you, just as comfortable and relaxed as you are, relaxes me right back to sleep. So, it is a treat when Adam comes home from work early and at 3 am slips into our bedroom whispering "It's just me Babe" and two seconds later is sliding into the crisp cold sheets that are right beside me. He slides his arm under my head and wraps his other around my waist and we drift off to sleep just like that. Sigh.....THAT is a treat in the deep dark night.

No comments: