Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

Growing up, I never knew why we had Labor day. Still as an adult I am unsure. When my husband Adam was still in utero and his mom was overdue with him, Adam's older brother Jason became very upset when Labor Day came and went and his new sibling did not make an appearance. Turns out he thought Labor Day was the day when all the mothers went into labor. Hey, that makes sense to a seven year old, right?

Well, lucky for all you unknowing people like me out there, I decided to look it up. Click here to read the full the story..but here's an excerpt from the Department of Labor:

"Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country".
 So thank you to everyone who goes to work, for those who stay at home watching children so others can go to work, and thank you for those who used to go to work but are now retired. Thank you for doing what you do.
Ironically, in our house this year Labor Day is Lazy Day...we are all chillin out here at home. Adam is napping, Riley is sneaking her sister licorice while I am not looking (which Bree absolutely LOVED), and I am feeling a little under the weather so I am cleaning, then resting, and doing laundry, then resting, etc. etc.
What are you doing for your Lazy Day?, I mean Labor Day? Leave me a comment to let us know...we love you hear what you all are doin!

No comments: