Monday, October 19, 2009

Drawing a blank

That is what I am doing right now. Drawing a blank. Usually within the course of the day I think of something I want to write about, or Riley does something insanely crazy that I know I have to share with everyone. But.....I've got nothin! So, I will just do a general update on the fam:

For those who didn't know, we are moving next week. We found a house for rent literally 10 houses up the street and around the corner that we will be moving into. It's a 4 bedroom, 1600 square foot house, and even has a dining area! (the house we are in now has one, but we don't use it as such because it is in an odd place) We have some amazing friends who are willing to help us (so many I can't choose who!), and while the task of moving itself is dreadful it will be exciting to have a bigger space. So, if you know anyone in the Surprise, AZ side of town that is looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with artificial grass in the backyard...send em my way! It's for rent for $895 a month!

This Thursday I am going with Bree's speech therapist to a seminar on homemade blended formula by Marsha Dunn Klein. I am thinking this is the way we are going to be headed with Bree. I do not know much about it but I understand the basic concepts. You start with a base of nutritionally rich liquid, like pedialyte or formula, and measure out what else you want to put in it. You can steam vegetables, put fruit in it, pasta, etc. Almost everything can be blended up and put into homemade formula. This is suppose to support and help Bree develop a liking for real food. This is because kids with acid reflux are constantly burping up and "tasting" what is in their stomach (gross, huh?). By putting real food into her stomach, it is allowing her an opportunity to taste real food, even if she refuses to take it by mouth. This also encourages her once she does start eating by mouth because she will recognize the tastes.

Now, don't worry, we will be working hand in hand with her dietitian to make sure that she is still meeting the calories that she needs to be getting. We will start slow on this and work our way up to where we need to be.

On Friday, we have Bree's first MRI of her brain. This is to check if her brain is underdeveloped from prematurity (we are expecting to see some, but to what degree), and to see what areas are damaged from the brain bleeds and periods she went without oxygen (the two times she had CPR). For some reason, this is nerve racking for me...I think it is because I am okay with where we are at with her. Yes, it sucks that she is not developmentally in line with her peers, but she is happy and healthy! We are working on all the rest. I know this MRI won't change anything, I am just dreading the bad news that comes along with it.

Whew! What a post...so much for drawing a blank, huh?

3 comments:

Joy said...

A friend of mine (IRL) is a brain researcher and invited me to a lecture on prematurity & the brain on Monday. Unfortunately I can't go, but when I replied I told her that perhaps it was for the best because I'm not sure I want to know.
Robbie's GI's nurse practitioner has 26w twins (now 2) and one of them had a grade IV bleed. At his MRI they found some scary stuff.. But you know? He can see and hear and walk and run and understands speech just great. He's still not talking, but his receptive language is perfect.

I say all of this to say that children's brains are resilient. Far more so than ours. No matter WHAT you see tomorrow, it does not define or limit her.

Tasha said...

I love you Trish! Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I really needed to hear them. :)

Kathryn said...

Ooop...nevermind...I really shouldn't read posts BACKWARDS :) That sounds interesting...I look forward to hearing if it "works" or not