Friday, February 6, 2009

Hospital life and unpleasant situations

I am so tired of the hospital life. I am tired of the lazy people, the lack of caring in those people, and just the overall situation with having to wait on other people to even feed Bree. It is posted on her board that she eats at 8, 11, 2, and 5. It even says it in her chart, and daily care instructions that the nurses write on their little piece of paper. So, why is it that it is nine o'clock and I just got her feed started on her pump??!!!! I called at 5 till 8 to get her formula and the nurse comes prancing in at 5 after. Even after I told her that Bree needed to eat she proceeded to do her exam on her. Finally at 8:20 she went and got her a bottle of formula. I needed the syringe and tubing to hook it up to her feeding pump so she went and grabbed a sealed package that I thought contained what I needed and just dropped it on the table and walked out of the room. I have NEVER had a nurse not hook up her feed. Good thing I know how to do it.

Lo and behold the package contained the wrong syringe so with a upset wiggly and hungry baby I called for my nurse to come and bring me the right stuff. All the while, a nurse is in the other part of the room taking care of my neighbor. I called for her at 8:25. AT 8:50 (!!!!!!) she comes in and goes "Oh! I totally thought that you were gavage feeding her." Seriously? I asked for a syringe and tubing to hook up to the pump...that's not GAVAGE feeding her!!! So, my child was fed an hour late, which now screws up all her other feedings. I never thought that I would be the obsessive parent about their child being kept to their schedule, but I am now. This is ridiculous.

This is not the only situation we have had. I do not want to paint PCH in a bad light, but the last two weeks have noot been good. I asked for a swing for Bree last week and the one that was brought to me had dried poop all on the seat and on the edge of it. That's not sanitary or right in any way. Let alone the fact that it wasn't even her poop!

Once, when Adam was trying to calm Bree down during a crying fit her apnea monitor sounded an alarm that her heartrate was too high. There was only one other time that it has gone off and when that happened we had four people run into the room. This alarm only goes off when there is a major problem so the sound of that alarm should strike fear in the hearts of the parents and of the nurses. When it went off with Adam, no one came in. It went off for TEN seconds! He had to call the nurse to let her know. That is unacceptable. What if we had been down getting lunch and it had been her alarm to say she wasn't breathing? No one would have come in, and she could have died or suffered serious injury to herself. Unacceptable.

Twice now, we have had PCT's (also known as CNA's) put Bree BACK into clothes and blankets that she had pooped all over. I am at a loss for why they would even think about doing that. Just because she is a baby and can't speak for herself? Would you put clothes back on that you pooped and/or peed on? Both of these incidences have happened at night when Adam or I were sleeping. After Adam confronted one of the PCT's about the most recent incident, her excuse was that it was dark and she couldn't see that Bree's clothes had gotten dirty. Never mind the fact that all the night workers use little flashlights all the time when it is dark.

I have talked with Lisa, the clinical supervisor for the third floor about all of these incidences except for the one this morning. She was very polite, and seemed genuinely concerned about the issues I brought to her attention. She apologized for each one and said that she would talk to the necessary people regarding the incidences. I believe her, but why do all these things continue to happen? I understand that there are a lot of people involved with her care and it only takes one person to set a bad impression. However, we have had too many incidences that are not acceptable for anyone.

I believe that any parent would agree with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would Deff. be just as upset!! Hopefully little Bree will get better soon and you all can be resting happy at home.

Anonymous said...

All of those things are unacceptable. I am glad that you went and told someone about the problems that you have had. They need to be resolved. If I were in your shoes I would be very upset as well. That is your baby they are temporarily caring for! I am sorry you guys are having such an awful time. My first son was on an apnea monitor from about 3 weeks until 7 months and I can still hear that piercing alarm sound like it was yesterday! Would scare you to death everytime it went off! Hope things get better and Bree gets to go home soon!

The Pentz Family said...

I'm so sorry you have to go thru this...I can understand such lack of caring at a normal ER but at a children's hospital - unacceptable! I hope Bree gets better real soon so you can take her home!!!